Today’s episode is part 3 in our the 4 part series on How to L.O.V.E. your Way Through Conflict. We’re talking about how devaluing your spouse can be one of the quickest ways to derail a conversation and turn it into conflict. When you learn how to value your spouse it’s much easier to stay engaged and come to a resolution.
When you value your spouse you’re letting them know how much they’re worth. It’s never a good idea to make your spouse compete with a cell phone, a laptop or a tv screen.
Devaluing your spouse can involves things like:
- Being dismissive
- Minimizing their feelings
- Disregarding them
- Using sarcasm
- Constant interruption
To head towards resolution it’s important to stay engaged, make eye contact, put down your device, and hear them out.
We hope you leave this episode and forward it on to your spouse or perhaps a friend or two. So many couples suffer in silence before they file for divorce. Be the friend that cares about their marriage and share this episode or any of our other ones. Pass along the encouragement!
Quotes from the episode:
“The quickest way to go from a conversation to conflict is to devalue your spouse”
“If you don’t have time to go to counseling or to talk with one another, you definitely don’t have time to argue.”
The Expedition Marriage Podcast!
We're bringing our support to your favorite podcast platform.
Subscribe so you can don't miss an episode.
Newlywed Couple's Devotional
(for Newlywed Couples and Newlywed Wanna-Be's)
• 52 Weekly Devotionals that explore common issues and themes every couple experiences, such as intimacy, love, commitment, household duties, finances, and more
• Everyday Scripture and Reflective Bible Studies that provide practical solutions to bringing marriages closer to God
• Action-Oriented Discussion Prompts that hold couples accountable for maintaining their God-anchored vows
• Weekly Prayers that are specific and relevant to the topics discussed