One of the best ways to have a Christ centered marriage is to become two individuals who seek to follow Him. This rightfully places the Lord directly in the center of your marriage. Having Him in the center allows direction, growth, and humility to flow freely, all while making your marriage one of the most rewarding relationships you have.
5 Scriptures for a Christ-Centered Marriage
- You are better and stronger together, and even better and stronger with the Lord. “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12
- You will always have things vying for your attention, time, and efforts. Make sure your marriage remains one of your highest priorities. Many marriages drift apart long before they ever explode in destruction. Stay on guard. “Therefore, what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mark 10”9
- The more you love your spouse as a verb in action, the easier it will be to forgive and to let go of some of their flaws and mistakes. “Above all, love one another deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8
- Setting up appropriate boundaries with extended family is a must. You’re living a 2 becoming 1 life, not a 2 becoming 3, 4,5 & 6 life. This can be tricky. If you’re getting stuck with this, check out The Expedition Marriage podcast, Episode 44, Setting Boundaries with In Laws. “Therefore, a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” Genesis 2:24
- Always remember what real love is. It’s so much more than the big feelings you had that led you into your marriage. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”
1 Corinthians 13:4-5
When you seek to follow Jesus, you will forever be being transformed more and more to his likeness. Your goal as a spouse is to help support your spouse in doing the same. If you’d like a great way to make Christ the center of your marriage, be sure to check out the Newlywed Couples Devotional, a 52 week biblically based devotional filled with scripture and application. It’s practical, it’s filled with truth, conversation starters and prayer… and it’s not just for newlyweds!